Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st Jury Trial Over Music File Sharing In Us Ever
=BGOAT= Forums > The Heep > Nonsense
=bgizzoat=ukjmn
Duluth court to host first jury trial over music file sharing
Mark Stodghill
Duluth News Tribune - 10/02/2007
A single mother of two children takes on the Recording Industry Association of America in a Duluth courtroom today in the nation’s first copyright infringement case to reach a jury.
The RIAA — representing Virgin Records, Capitol Records, Sony BMG, Arista Records, Interscope Records, Warner Bros. Records and UMG Recordings — claims that Jammie Thomas of Brainerd, Minn., distributed 1,702 digital audio files — many of them the plaintiffs’ copyrighted sound recordings — from the KaZaA shared folder on her computer to “potentially millions of other KaZaA users’’ for free.

According to the plaintiffs’ proposed verdict form, the industry is seeking as much as $3.9 million in damages — up to $150,000 for each of 26 copyrighted sound recordings that were allegedly pirated. The trial is in Duluth because it is the federal court nearest to Brainerd.

Minneapolis attorney Brian Toder is representing the defendant. Toder said Thomas, 30, is the single mother of two chi ldren, ages 11 and 13. She’s employed by the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe in the administration of its natural resources department, he said.

Toder was asked why the case is going to trial. “Because we wouldn’t allow ourselves to be bullied,” he said. “Most people settle when they get these kind of lawsuits … They’re very good at getting people to settle.”

Toder said federal court rules precluded him from commenting on details of his case.

In a court-filed document, Thomas’ attorney said she “did not download anything from KaZaA or any other peer-to-peer network’’ and questions whether the plaintiffs own the copyrights they allege are theirs.

As the result of a Feb. 21, 2005, investigation, the plaintiffs claim Thomas, under the username tereastarr@KaZaA, distributed pirated audio files over the Internet. The plaintiffs filed a “Doe’’ lawsuit and subpoenaed Charter Communications to identify Thomas as the subscriber responsible for the pirating, accordin g to the plaintiffs’ “statement of case.”

Denver lawyer Richard Gabriel is the lead attorney representing the plaintiffs. He couldn’t be reached for comment Monday.

“Without commenting specifically on the merits of this case, I will say that with all our cases we try to be fair and reasonable in resolving them quickly and out of court,” Cara Duckworth, director of communications for the Recording Industry Association of America, said in an e-mail Monday. “I might add that we settle for amounts far less than what the law allows.’’

The RIAA claims that the music industry is losing billions of dollars from the illegal copying of its music. The industry’s zero-

tolerance copyright campaign started in 2003. It has brought more than 26,000 lawsuits against individuals who allegedly have illegally downloaded and/or distributed copyrighted music files, Duckworth said.

In separate cases, three University of Minnesota Duluth students are accused of allege dly downloading music illegally. UMD and 57 other U.S. college campuses were included in a wave of 503 pre-litigation settlement letters sent by RIAA last month.

Jury selection begins this morning in Duluth federal court. U.S. District Judge Michael J. Davis will preside over the trial, which is expected to conclude Thursday.

idk if u guys heard but its national news.... and this is where i live. thats crazy.
Duffers
What a load of bullshit.

You can't OWN sound.

It's like me copywrighting your face, then charging you money for using it.
=BGOAT= water
QUOTE(Duffers @ Oct 4 2007, 06:18 AM) [snapback]26548[/snapback]
What a load of bullshit.

You can't OWN sound.

It's like me copywrighting your face, then charging you money for using it.

the artist should be pumped that people are listning to their music instead of bitchin that they arnt getting money.
skrattahögtmunk
"The RIAA claims that the music industry is losing billions of dollars from the illegal copying of its music. The industry’s zero-tolerance copyright campaign started in 2003. It has brought more than 26,000 lawsuits against individuals who allegedly have illegally downloaded and/or distributed copyrighted music files, Duckworth said."

This has nothing to do with the decaying quality of the music being made by bands under RIAA protection, right?
=bgizzoat=ukjmn
this just in she lost the case and has to pay like 900 dollars a song for like 26 songs. something around a quarter of a million.
Harold
how lame
Magick
thats why if you download, just don't share the files. and I don't really think you can get caught
skrattahögtmunk
QUOTE(Magick @ Oct 4 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]26563[/snapback]
thats why if you download, just don't share the files. and I don't really think you can get caught

lol what.
Also, I love how this chick gets 200 k in fines yet some people upload TERRABYTES of music and never get caught.
Magick
QUOTE(lol_Doughnut @ Oct 4 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]26564[/snapback]
lol what.
Also, I love how this chick gets 200 k in fines yet some people upload TERRABYTES of music and never get caught.

when you download the file, you can make it so people can't download it off you. so you don't have a shit load of traffic coming in and out of your computer.
skrattahögtmunk
QUOTE(Magick @ Oct 4 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]26565[/snapback]
when you download the file, you can make it so people can't download it off you. so you don't have a shit load of traffic coming in and out of your computer.

I know this.

I'm just saying the RIAA seems to be pretty nondiscriminatory when it comes to lawsuits. You leave your IP address everywhere when you do anything.

And KaZaa is for noobs anyways.

=bgizzoat=ukjmn
thats why she got fucked. wtf would anyone use kazaa these days? im not worried at all about shit like this ever catching up to me. slsk for life
logan
Doesn't pretty much everyone you know, who has an mp3 player, download music illegally?
=bgizzoat=ukjmn
i dont know how they targetted her or why they did, but they did. it doesnt make sense if you ask me.

but from what i understand shes not the only one who has been brought charges against. shes like one of 26,000 but she was the first to take it to court instead of settling with the company that makes the cds
skrattahögtmunk
QUOTE(=bgizzoat=ukjmn @ Oct 4 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]26567[/snapback]
thats why she got fucked. wtf would anyone use kazaa these days? im not worried at all about shit like this ever catching up to me. slsk for life

Wouldn't that be funny if they were charging her for songs she downloaded like 9 years ago?

"The thing is there using her as an example. An example that means money matters more then human life."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.